Since the mid 1990s, The George Washington University makes available scholarship funds to support a student(s) who contribute to campus life by engaging in St. Mary’s Episcopal Church Campus Ministry Program. This annual scholarship for eligible students may be granted to a single student or divided (divided amounts do not have to be equal), in either case not to exceed the amount of’ $20,000 per year. In exchange, St. Mary’s manages the campus ministry currently in place for interested GW students, faculty and staff on an ongoing basis, and makes use of the interests and talents of the scholarship awardees for a fixed period.
For the purpose of this scholarship, a St. Mary’s Church “campus member” shall be defined as someone who, regardless of religious affiliation, is able and willing to: regularly attend Sunday church services; participate in the service program on a scheduled basis as acolyte, lay reader, or member of the choir, altar guild or other church ministries; assist the planning and execution of campus ministry projects to be arranged by the church or be available to field questions from students, faculty, and staff interested in learning more about the church and its programs/ministries. Neither formal membership nor financial obligation is required of scholarship recipients.
The St. Mary’s Church Scholarship Committee has set April 1 2024 for its application deadline. Top candidates must be available for an interview during the final week of April or first week of May. The committee will notify successful awardees shortly thereafter.
Ms Lauren Harris
Ms Olivia Startz
Applicants for the St. Mary’s Episcopal Church — George Washington University Scholarship for Ministry must:
- currently be enrolled in a George Washington University academic program or will be entering such a program in the fall semester;
- must be willing to volunteer at church as discussed with the Scholarship Committee (candidates do not have to be Episcopalian);
- provide a resume which indicates a strong interest and commitment to campus ministry and a transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable) indicating strong academic performance;
- submit two letters of recommendation, sealed and signed across the back of the envelope and;
- enclose a statement of purpose not exceeding 500-words discussing (a) the ways in which you can contribute to the campus ministry activities of St. Mary’s Church and (b) why you should be selected to receive the award.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.